Sunday, April 23, 2017

More Work on the TBI


Temperature Sensors.

I started the day by swapping the two temperature sensors.
I had installed the sensor for the ECM (Electronic Control Module) in the thermostat housing but it looked like it was going to be to tall and maybe be crushed by the engine cover.


The temperature gauge sensor was originally in the side of the head.  I removed it when I replaced the manifold.
You can see the brass reducer in the side of the head.


I removed the reducer from the head and the sensor from the thermostat housing and installed them in the others hole.


There is a lot more room for the temperature sensor in the thermostat housing.

Routing Computer Wires.

I had to close up the hole I made in the engine compartment for the computer cable and plugs.  The hole had to be over 2” in diameter to clear the plugs.

You can see the hole with the cable coming through it here.


Once the cables were all through the hole it had to be closed up to keep out critters and keep the cable away from sharp metal edges.
What I did was to cut a couple pieces of plastic scrap.  Once I had a 5” by 5” piece of plastic, then I had to make a hole in the center for the cable to come through. Next, I cut the plastic in half. I mounted one half below the hole and the other half above the hole. You can see the finished product below.


Above; you can see the test plug and the fuse block mounted to the right of the hole cover. I have decided to just use some Velcro to mount the ECM to the side of the wheel well where you see it in the picture. It will be under the seat but still accessible.

Wires and Tubing.

Next I had to dress up the wiring and fuel hoses in the engine compartment . The most important thing was to keep the wires and hoses away from the exhaust manifold.

Here is how it turned out.


  There is still a little more work to do on the wiring but it will have to wait until I have the air cleaner sorted out.

Okay, that’s all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment