A while back, I mentioned that the master cylinder on the van was leaking.
A couple days ago I decided to go ahead and fix the problem.
When I looked under the van to check the cylinder it was wet all over with brake fluid so I couldn’t really see where it was leaking.
I figured that the leak was probably around the piston so I removed the cylinder and checked under the rubber boot. I found a small amount of leakage but not enough to account for the amount of fluid on the ground and all over the cylinder.
Since there was a small amount of leakage around the piston I decided to replace the master cylinder.
I went to the parts store and of course they didn’t have the master cylinder in stock (I would have been very surprised if they had one) so I ordered one.
The Next Morning.
Early the next morning I was at the parts store picking up the master cylinder.
I checked it over real good to be sure it was the right part. Even though it looked a little bulkier than the original, it had all the right connections in all the right places.
I bench bled the cylinder and then installed it in the van and hooked up the two break lines.
I buttoned things up and took a test drive around the block.
When I got back I looked under the van and saw drops of break fluid.
As it turned out one of the fittings on one of the break lines where it connects to the master cylinder was leaking. (Original problem).
I tried tightening it but couldn’t stop the leak.
I removed the line…
and found that the flair on one end was worn out.
Brake lines use a double flair on the end where the lip of the tube is folded in on itself and then flared out. it makes the flair thicker than with a single flair so it seals tighter.
Of course this takes a special flaring tool.
I’m sure I have one of those around here some where.
I searched through all my tool cabinets and drawers because I was sure that I had a double flair tool but I couldn’t come up with it.
I must have had one at work when I was working for a living.
Since I was probably only going to use the tool once I decided to get a cheap one. (Not a good decision.) In hind sight I should have gone to the auto parts store and borrowed the tool.
Finally Got It.
Anyway after using up about two feet of tubing and having to use parts of two different flaring tools I finally got a reasonable copy of the original pipe and installed it.
I checked it out good and so far it doesn’t leak.
That’s what I’ve been up to the last couple of days.
At 8:00 this morning I took Patti to the eye surgery center to get her right cataract removed. Everything went fine and she is now snoozing in her recliner.