Friday, April 21, 2017

More Progress on the TBI Project.

Pinched Line.

I noticed that the PVC line where it connects to the TBI has to make a real sharp turn. The hose looks like it is pinching at the turn.  To fix this I decided to insert a spring into the hose where it makes the bend. The spring will keep the hose from collapsing.
First I had to find a spring that was the right diameter so it just fits into the line and won’t migrate. I found a piece of spring in my junk that looks like it will work. All I have to do is shorten the spring by about half.


After inserting the spring I attached the hose to the TBI.


The hose on the left side is the PCV line.

Mounting the Fuel Pump Solenoid.

Next. I decided to mount the fuel pump solenoid and two large fuse holders.


There are a couple of bolts that are securing a shelf that holds up one side of the cook stove for the Van. The bolts stick into the engine compartment over an inch.


I decided that this would be a good place to mount the solenoid and fuses. 
All I had to do was find a piece of metal the right size to mount to the two bolts and I can mount the solenoid and stuff to that.

I looked through all my metal stock in the shop. Nothing!
I looked through all the steel that I have on the side of the house. Nothing!
I was about to give up and go buy a piece of steel when I noticed a stack of wine barrel hoops that I have in the back yard. I looked the hoops over and decided that a piece of hoop would work just fine for the mount.

I selected a hoop and took it into the shop where I cut off a piece long enough to span the distance between the bolts.


I drilled holes at each end of the piece of metal and two smaller holes and tapped them for the fuse mount.


Once the fuses were mounted I affixed the metal to the side of the engine compartment with the solenoid bolted to one of the mounting bolts.


The check engine light.

I had to find a light to use for the check engine light.
The one I had was burned out so I went through some of my stuff but couldn’t find anything that would work.
I went to three auto parts and one hardware store.  I had to drive from one side of town to the other so it took an hour or more.  The third auto parts store that I went to had a light that would work. It is red unfortunately, and fits a little loosely but it will work. I’ll keep an eye out for a better one at a later date.

I installed the light and spent some time figuring out how to mount the computer and another fuse block.
Around 4:20 I decided that it was time to quit for the day.

Today I will try to get the exhaust connected and maybe even try starting the engine.

No comments:

Post a Comment