Friday, April 10, 2009

Friday, April, 10

Cloudy this morning with a 30 percent chance of rain this evening and winds 20 to 30 mph.
Today we are going to pay the rent up through Sunday night. On Monday we will leave for New Mexico. We will spend the first night in Arizona City and hopefully the second night will be in Las Cruces.

It has occurred to me that I have mentioned Nopallitos or Nopallis a couple of times. I’m not sure which is correct. The jar says Nopalitos but the first time I was introduced to them by Wayne he called them Nopallis.
I think its time I gave you the receipt.
We have found two varieties of Nopalitos. The Mild one is just cactus in water, salt and vinegar. The spicy one has cactus, cilantro, onions and one or two cerano chili’s, salt, water, and vinegar. With this variety, after pouring the Nopalitos into the colander I take the chili out deseed it, cut it up and put it back. If you like it real spicy just leave the chili whole.

For a normal batch that will feed two or three adults.
2 pork steaks
2 cloves of garlic
½ onion
2 tbs. salsa
½ can Mexican style stewed tomatoes. I use a full can because I don’t know what to do with what is left.
Pour jar of Nopalitos into colander and rinse well.
Cut the bone out of the pork steak and save large bones.
Cut steak into small pieces.
In a large deep pan or Dutch oven, add oil, steak and large bones, fry until brown.
Add onions and cook until clear.
Add garlic and cook for a few minutes.
Add Nopalitos, Salsa, and Tomatoes.
Salt to taste (I found that there is enough salt in the Nopalitos and tomatoes).
Stir it all together and simmer for 20 minutes.
Serve with Mexican style rice and Tortillas.

Just before noon, we went to the book store and got a new supply of reading material.

It is 4:20 pm. And we are in the middle of a major thunder storm. The wind is shaking “Plan B” it is pouring rain and the lightning and thunder are coming almost at the same instant. This aught to settle the dust for a little while.
Looking to the southeast I can see some blue sky so this probably won’t last very long.
It is 4:25 pm. and the storm is already calming down. By 4:45 the palm fronds are hang limply and the storm has moved on.
Well, that was fun. :o)

For dinner I fixed Buffalo burger “steaks” in red wine, mashed potatoes, gravy and green beans.

1 comment:

  1. Yummy! There use to be a place in Santa Rosa that made nopales tacos, but without the pork: just chopped up cactus, peppers and cheese. So good. I'll probably give your recipe a try. It sounds great!

    ReplyDelete