Tighten the Springs.
The first thing I did yesterday morning was to tighten the spring bolts. I tightened them as tight as I could get them with an 20” breaker bar. After I drive the van for a while I will tighten the bolts again.
Installing the Brakes.
The next job was to install the brakes. I had a bit of trouble with the bolts that hold the calipers on. The threads on the passenger side bolts were buggered up. I don’t know how they got buggered. To fix the problem I had to use a thread chaser on the bolts and it was necessary to run a tap through the bolt holes.
Once the holes were fixed the brakes went on just fine.
The drivers side brakes went on with out a hitch.
Hooking up the Steering.
The next thing to do was to hook up the steering.
First I tried to hook the pitmen arm to the output of the steering box without disconnecting the arm from the drag link.
I fought with that for a while but eventually decided that the drag link had to be disconnected from the pitmen arm. Once I did that it was a lot easier to get the steering together.
Back on 4 Wheels.
Once the steering was connected all that was left was to put the tires back on.
There are a couple things to finish up today then I’ll take it for a ride to see how the springs and the brakes work.