Sunday, August 26, 2018

Three Days at the Cabin.


Thursday.

Arrive at the Cabin.

We got to the cabin around 4:30 in the afternoon so I’m not counting this as a day.

The weather was just right. Still lots of smoke in the air from the fires in Lake County though.

When we walked in the cabin we found more dirty cookware on the counter and in the dish drainer.
Leon and the gang must have been here.

I haven’t looked around much but I found more pieces of firewood with #12 nails pounded into them. That is a very stupid move. The only thing I can guess, is that they must have a 12 year old up here that they don’t supervise. 

IMGP3422

Logs with nails in them are hard to split and once the wood burns away you have bent nails left.
I am sure that the way these guys do things there will be bent nails scattered around the area.
I will really be pissed if I get a flat tire because these dummies don’t have any common sense.

Forgot Stuff.

We have to go into Boonville tomorrow because I forgot to bring any propane cannisters for the gas lights. I also forgot to bring hot cocoa for my breakfast.

Friday.

Nails.

Just after I wrote the post for yesterday I took a walk around the place. It’s already happening; I found four nails laying on the ground near where our car is parked and Patti found a bent one on the way to the toilet. Here you can see two nails laying near the porch.

IMGP3425

Yellowjacket Nest.

I walked over to the dining hall and checked out the Yellowjacket nest that Dave, Joanne and I killed a few weeks ago.
Some kind of critter must have smelled the dead bees and opened the nest up.

IMGP3426

Garbage?

I walked into the dining hall and noticed a bag siting next to the wood stove. At first I thought that the boys had left some garbage but on further inspection I found that it was a bag of charcoal briquets. The mice have been chewing on the bag some but at least it isn’t garbage.

IMGP3428


Cover for Water Filter.

I decided that the water filter needed to be protected so I started building a box to fit over it. I dug through the lumber that we have stacked behind the dining hall and found that most of the boards that I needed were pretty much rotted. I dug through the pile and found just enough good wood to do the project. The rest of the boards, I threw in the campfire wood pile.
Once I got all the pieces for the cover cut to size I needed some screws to put it together and there weren’t enough screws here for the job. I’ll have to pick some up when we are in town.

Going to Town.

Around 11:00 we left the cabin and headed for Boonville. It takes about a half hour to get to town. Fortunately the road work was at a point that we didn’t have to stop and wait to go through the construction area.

Our first stop in town was the hardware store where I purchased a couple pounds of screws and two propane canisters.

Next we went to the Boonville Market and got some cocoa mix and a some chips.

Lunch at the Gas Station.

From the market we went to the gas station. They have a convenience store and a café there. They have an extensive menu; Burgers, Mexican food and sandwiches.
We had chicken strips and fries. Not bad for gas station food.

Back at the Cabin.

We were lucky again at the road work as it was lunch time for the workers so we didn’t have to stop.

Once we were back home I continued putting the filter cover together.

Here is the cover siting next to the filter.

IMGP3429

I still have to put a top on it and set it in place.

Playing Cards.

We had supper around 6:00 and after supper we played a couple games of Rummy; Patti won one game and I won the other.

Okay that was our Friday at the cabin.

Saturday.


Finishing the Water Filter Cover.

I had to put some blocks on the bottom of the filter box so it could be leveled up.

IMGP3430

Need a Top.

The next thing that needed doing was to make a top for the box. I thought about hinging the top but figured that would just be something to break so I decided to make the top so it just lifts off.
That may be a mistake as some of the people that come up here will probably take the top off and toss it in the bushes.

Getting Wood.

I looked through the lumber that was in the pile behind the dining hall but could not find anything that would work for the top.
Time to go to the lumber yard.
We drove up the hill to the “Slag Heap” where there is some lumber from when they logged the place several years ago.

At the lumber pile I found a nice Redwood 1”X12”. I cut off about 6 feet of the board and put it in the car and we headed back to the cabin.

Picking up Firewood.

I had piled some firewood near the upper driveway so we stopped and loaded the car with firewood and later Patti stacked the wood on the porch and some along the side of the cabin.

Making a Top for the Water Filter Box.

The 1”X12” was not wide enough to cover the top of the box so I had to cut two 14” pieces and used a couple of 1X2’s to hold the boards together and keep the top from sliding off.

Here is the box completed.

IMGP3432

Relaxing.

The rest of the day we did some shade hopping and relaxing.
We had BLT’s for supper and played cards in the evening. Patti won one game and I won the other so we are even.

Sunday.

Today is leaving day.


I still have to re-stack some lumber in the pile behind the dining hall as it kind of fell apart when I was pulling boards out of it.
A lot of the boards were rotten so they went onto the campfire wood plie to be burned in the fire pit.
After that was done we packed up the car and cleaned up the cabin.
Once everything was clean and tidy in the cabin we left for home.

We stopped at Joanne and Dave’s for a visit and got home around
5:00.

No comments:

Post a Comment