Thursday, August 2, 2018

Manifold Repair Continued.


Re Epoxying the Manifold Plugs.

After I published the blog yesterday, I went out to the shop to inspect the plug in the manifold. I didn’t like what I saw so I mixed up some different epoxy that is more like epoxy putty and applied it to the plug. I also removed the silicone from the other plug and covered it with epoxy putty.

Here is what the manifold looks like now.

IMGP3266

Splitting the Manifolds.

When I inspected the old exhaust gasket I found that all the exhaust ports were leaking. I realized that the manifolds would have to be split so that all the ports will seal.

IMGP3278

There are three bolts holding the manifold’s together with a gasket between them. When I put the manifolds on the block they will have to be connected together loosely so all the ports will be tight against the head before the manifolds are tightened together. It is going to be a pain to do it this way but it is the only way all the ports will get sealed.

Which Gasket to Use.

The exhaust gasket comes with two other gaskets in the box. They are the ones that go between the exhaust and intake manifolds.

The one on the left allows hot exhaust gasses to enter a heat exchanger on the intake manifold. The one on the right will block those gasses.
Living in California, we don’t have real cold weather so the “blocking gasket” would probably work. Some times though, the van will be in places that are freezing so I will use the gasket on the left. If the plug in the intake manifold blows out again I will replace that gasket with the blocking gasket (on the right).

IMGP3279

I mounted the exhaust manifold in the big vice so it will be easier to work on.

IMGP3280

Dinner and Cards.

Okay that is as far as I got on that project today.
We planned to go to Joanne and Dave’s to play cards this evening. Our friend Lorraine was also going to play with us.
Normally we would pick up Lorraine but today Patti’s car is in the shop and the jeep is missing the back seat so we drove the jeep to Lorraine’s and she drove us to Joanne and Dave’s in her car.
It was a good evening of visiting and cards. Dave won the game.

Okay That’s it for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment