Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Fixing the Axel on the Cannon Carriage.


Getting the Sleeve Off the Axel.

I carried the cannon carriage from the back yard to the shop.
I laid it down on the cement in front of the garage.
With the application of heat and a pipe wrench I eventually got the sleeve off the axel.

IMGP3417

I cleaned up the axel with some sand paper.

IMGP3419

Then I put the sleeve  in the lathe and cleaned it up.

IMGP3418

To clean the inside of the sleeve I wrapped some sand paper around a dowel and pushed it through the sleeve while the Lathe was spinning it.

Epoxy the Sleeve.

The next thing I had to do was to epoxy the sleeve into the wooden wheel hub so the sleeve will stay in place within the hub.
I mixed up some “Epoxy-Patch” and with a Q-tip wiped the inside of the hub with epoxy. Then I put a little epoxy on the outside of the
sleeve. Next I pushed the sleeve into the hub.
I cleaned the excess epoxy off everything and waited for the epoxy to set.

After about an hour I put the wheel on the carriage and it spins nice and easy.

IMGP3420

Putting the Cannon’s Away.

Once the repair was done I took the wheels off both carriages and after rearranging some of the stuff in the shed I managed to get it all stored away.

OK that’s it for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment