Tuesday, August 21, 2018

A Frozen Wheel on a Cannon Carriage


Moving Cannons.

I have a couple of small black powder cannons that we used to take to Rendezvous where they have Cannon shooting competition.
It was my favorite competition at rendezvous.

My cannons were sitting outside in my back yard and I wanted to put them away so I pulled the barrels off and put them in the shed. I had to take the wheels off of the carriages so they would also  fit in the shed .

Frozen Wheel.

As I was rolling one of the carriages over to the shed I noticed that one of the wheels was not turning.

I turned the carriage on its side and tried to pull the wheel off but it wouldn’t budge. After a while the wheel would turn but it was real stiff and would not come off the axel.

Making a Wheel Puller.

I needed a puller that would fit the wheel hub. I dug through my collection of pullers and found one that had long enough legs to fit the wheel hub but the cross arm was too short.

This is the puller with the legs removed.

IMGP3415

What I need to do is make a longer cross arm.
Here is how it turned out. The one on the left is the new puller.

IMGP3416

Pulling the Wheel.

I tried the new puller but every time I put a lot of pressure on the puller, the arms would slip off the hub. I tried to wire the legs together but again, every time I tighten the puller the the legs would slip. Eventually I drilled a hole in each leg and screwed it to the side of the wheel hub.

IMGP3410

This way I was able to remove the wheel.
The problem is, the steel sleeve inside the wooden wheel was frozen to the axel and when I pulled the wheel the sleeve stayed on the axel. Now I have to try and get the sleeve off the axel.

IMGP3413

When the axel pulled out of wheel it distorted the inner flange on the wheel. That will also have to be fixed.

IMGP3414

Okay, that’s as far as I got on the wheel problem. I’ll continue on it tomorrow.

Cards and Supper.

Joanne and Dave H, came by around 3:00 for a visit.
We played a game of Jokers Rummy.
After the game we went to El Charro Mexican restaurant for supper. Always good.
Back at the house we played another game.
J&D went home around 9:00

Okay that’s it for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment