Thursday, January 12, 2012

01-12-12

Junior invited us to take a ride with the Wednesday Jeep group yesterday.

Patti’s back is still messed up so Dave and I went in my jeep. We followed Junior to the home of Dennis (not our Dennis) the usual leader of the group. Then we drove to another persons home to gather the rest of the bunch. From there we drove out the northwest end of Quartzsite past the golf course and took a right turn on a small dirt road. Eventually we came to our first destination, the old steam shovel.

IMGP0516

IMGP0483

Well, it isn’t exactly a steam shovel, it is actually a diesel powered shovel but it is very old. Patti and I had been there a couple of years ago but I had forgotten how we got there.

There is a deep vertical shaft on the flat where the shovel is parked.

IMGP0484

When Patti and I visited it, we didn’t know that there was a large tunnel complex up the hill from the shovel. The tunnels go in several directions and there are several that let light into the caverns below.

IMGP0485

IMGP0491

IMGP0502

IMGP0501

We climbed higher on the hill where there were some really neat looking rocks.

!cid_FD144B88FB3D4D0A8F00DD97D97E2585@laptop02

And more tunneling.

IMGP0511

IMGP0512

From there we went out past the Marble Mine and around the mountain to the north to visit a couple of other mines. Patti and I had been there several times in the past. I got a picture of a hawk that was sitting on a rock. I had to zoom in tight to see it so the picture is a little blurred.

IMGP0518

The trail to the first of the mines became to rough to get through so we walked the rest of the way. Unfortunately I forgot to bring my camera. The tailings from the mine were very colorful and the shaft was wide and very deep. We found a large flat and stopped there for lunch.

IMGP0519

From there we visited the Darling Mine. When we got to the mine there were at least a dozen vehicles and people scampering all over the hillside.

IMGP0521

From there we headed for the trail over Diablo Pass. At one spot on the trail there is an obstacle. The trail goes around it or you can attempt to cross it. Two of the jeeps in front of me crossed the rocks so I decided to give it a try. I was doing pretty good until I hit the rock with the side of the left front tire and bounced to the right. The jeep ended up with two tires off the ground so I could not go any further.

!cid_9834E8CE4BD447C7A340AF7727FE1812@laptop02

It was kind of embarrassing but I had to get pulled forward until the wheels could find purchase

!cid_6DF6B6B66A1C4C1BA1DB555F4F418DF4@laptop02

and I could drive it out.

!cid_55DF779E17014E0FB76EE422D73B2D4E@laptop02

Junior followed me and did it correctly.

IMGP0522

IMGP0523

IMGP0524

I guess we will have to chalk my problem up to driver error. I should have stayed further to the right.

It was only a short trip from there to Quartzsite. We got home around 4:30 and went to Silly Al’s for pizza. It was very crowded and it took us about 30 minutes to be seated. The pizza was really good so I guess it was worth the wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment