Friday, August 11, 2017

Cuba, NM, ~7100 ft. Day, 16 CDT.


Hard Start.

The rain continued until around 9:00. As soon as it stopped Dennis started putting down his roof top tent.
We talked for a few minutes and then Dennis noticed that his wallet was missing. He went to his camp to tear it apart and look for it.

Bob,

Mean while I went over to Bob’s van to see if he was functioning. When I woke him up I could tell he was having Oxygen problems again. He stared around blankly and it took him a while to figure out what was going on. I left him alone to get some more sleep.

Cheryl and Dennis.

Dennis searched his belongings, his tent and the jeep but couldn’t find his wallet anywhere. He figured that he dropped it in the bathroom at the gas station in Chama.
Cheryl and Dennis decided that they should go as quickly as possible to a place where they could get cell service so they could call the station and see if any one had turned the wallet in. If so they were going to go back to Chama to get it.
We made arrangements to meet them in Cuba in the afternoon.

Cheryl and Dennis left around 9:45

Bob.

Just before They left I checked again on Bob; he was still out of it.

He convinced me to let him sleep for another hour. Against my better judgement I let him sleep even though I felt that the best thing for him was to get to a lower altitude.

Lets Go.

At 11:00 I woke Bob up and convinced him to start breathing from  the Oxygen bottle we bought him so he could start thinking properly. 

After a while he was in good enough shape to drive (just barley) so we set off for Cuba.
The road out of the mountains was very wet and muddy.

IMG_7641

By the time we got to the highway the vans were coated in about an inch of mud on the bottom and sides of the vans.

IMG_7652

Once we got on the highway we stayed on it all the way to Cuba.

The scenery from the highway is real nice.

IMG_7689

Bob Needs a Break.

We had been driving for about an hour. I was looking in the rear view mirror and saw Bob’s van swerve off the road and back on again. I radioed him that we were taking the next turnout we could find for a break. Fortunately there was a dirt road on the right not to far ahead so I pulled off there.

Bob said that he needed a short nap so we let him sleep for another half hour.

Cuba.

Eventually we got back on the highway. It takes a long time to get down out of these mountains and when you do, you are still at around 7,000 ft.
We finally got to Cuba late in the afternoon.

Cheryl and Dennis were there before us and booked a room  at the Frontier Motel.
When we showed up we also booked a room.

The motel had a big parking area with some shade at one end so Bob was able to park his van in the shade and get some sleep.

Mexican Dinner.

Cheryl, Dennis, Patti and I went to a Mexican restaurant for supper. The food was very spicy which Cheryl and Dennis loved.
Unfortunately for me it was too much and I couldn’t eat all my meal.

Bob.

By morning Bob was feeling better and was ready to continue the adventure.
We will have to be careful not to camp over 7,000 feet.

Dennis’ Wallet.

No one turned in a wallet at the Chama gas station.

So they had to call their banks and credit card companies to cancel everything. They also joined Life Lock as further precaution.

No comments:

Post a Comment