Saturday, May 6, 2017

Still Trying to Get the TBI to Work Properly

 

Still Not Working.

The problems that I have been having with the TBI are persisting. The engine runs great. I can drive around town just fine, I can drive on the freeway at speeds in excess of 70 mph. The engine only gives me trouble when I punch it. Then it will accelerate until it gets to a certain rpm and then is goes flat.

What I Have Done.

So far I have checked and tightened all vacuum connections including the manifolds.

I checked the fuel pressure, unfortunately I initially hooked the pressure gauge direct to the fuel pump. When I turned the ignition on the pump started and slammed the gauge needle against the stop and bent the needle.

IMGP0567

Now it is out of calibration by at least 2.5 psi. I will have to get another fuel pressure gauge.

I checked and set the timing. I ran into problems when I couldn’t find the timing mark but fixed that. I watched as I increased the engine.

Called a Technician.

I called tech support and talked to Troy. At that time there were two issues.

The check engine light was coming on and giving a error 45. Running too rich.
Troy told me to try restricting the flow by putting a hose clamp on the fuel line. I tried a clamp on the input line and tightened it down. I went for a ride and the check engine light went on again (same error).

Next, I took the clamp off the input and put it on the return line. I tightened the clamp until the engine faltered then backed off until the engine smoothed out and a little more.
I took another ride. I drove about 25 miles
(NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHT).Smile

Okay that part is taken care of.

More Gauges.

I need to compile a bunch of data for the next time I call tech support. Therefore yesterday, I bought a small tachometer and installed it on the dash.

IMGP0565

I will need to get another fuel pressure gauge so I can get accurate pressure readings.
That way the next time I call the tech I will have some numbers to work with.

Taking a Break.

I have had enough of this engine stuff so Patti and I are going up to the cabin for a couple of days for a break.
We are going to drive the van as there is some long stuff that I want to take up there and the van runs good enough for that.

Talk to you later.

No comments:

Post a Comment