Sunday, April 24, 2016

More on the Door

The Door.

I did some more work on the van door.
I tried to braze the patch to the door skin but I didn't like the way it was going. After a coupe of inches the metal was distorting so bad that I stopped trying to braze it together.
I decided that I was going to have to some how glue the metal together. I spent a lot of time running around looking for some kind of construction adhesive for automobiles.  I wasn't sure that liquid nails would do the trick. Eventually I decided that some JB Weld would probably have the best chance of working. I had a couple of partial tubes of JB Weld so I mixed them up and slathered the epoxy on the metal and clamped the patch to the door.

The epoxy was hardened by about 8:00 last night so I removed the clamps and the patch  stayed stuck to the door.
So far, so good.

You can see the rust on the bottom edge of the door in the picture below.

I wire brushed the area and sprayed some rust stopper on it. I will seal it with epoxy putti. The putti will also seal the bottom of the patch and stick it to the door.

Okay that's it for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment