Friday, August 9, 2013

08-09-13

Spent four days at the cabin.

Sunday;

Arrived at the cabin around noon-ish.
Got moved in.

IMGP3075  
I started unloading some stuff from the van so I can use it tomorrow to get the roof tin in Ukiah .

After that it was getting kind of hot so I hung out in the shade.

I decided this would be a good chance to fix the clock.

As you may remember the last trip to the cabin the clock died. I only had two AA batteries I tried each one in the clock and the clock wouldn’t run. I decided that the clock motor was dead. I bought one while I was home and figured today was a good time to change it out. I swapped out the motors and put a battery in. Still the clock doesn’t work. I tried another battery with the same result. WTF!
I took a battery out of a small camping lantern that I have and tried that. It worked!  
I guess the two batteries that I had were dead.
I will have to get some batteries when I go to Ukiah for the tin.

After fixing the clock

IMGP3077

I puttered around the place and installed another branch in the porch rail.

Monday;

I finished unloading the van. Boy there was sure a lot of stuff in the van.

IMGP3079

I left for Ukiah around 11:00 stopped at Friedman Bros HDW for the roofing tin and a piece of gutter.
Went next door to Walmart and bought some AA batteries.
Got gas for the van and headed back to Camp.

Arrived at the cabin around 1:30

It was time to work on the old ladder that I made when I built the dining hall several years ago.
You can see the ladder lying on the ground in the background of the previous picture. 
I will need to use it when I put the screws in the last piece of tin.
I putt an extra screw at each end of the treads and replaced a bad tread.
Now the ladder is as good as new.

I unloaded the tin from the van,

IMGP3080

then measured and cut the first piece and slid it into place.

IMGP3081

 
When I had just started this project, a couple of weeks ago, I was looking through some cans in search of nails, etc. I came across a couple of bags of roofing screws. At the time I thought “Good I won’t have to buy any roof screws”
I looked every where I could think of today and couldn’t find the screws.
After about an hour of searching I gave up and just decided that I would have to go to Boonville and get some screws tomorrow morning.

I took the rest of the day off.

Tuesday;

This morning it was cold enough to start a fire in the wood stove.

IMGP3082

The fog didn’t burn off until around 11;00.

I did some last minute stuff to get the roof ready for tin. Ie. trimmed rafters, added some more screws to the structure in strategic places and added another branch to the rail.
After lunch I went to Boonville for screws.
As I was about to pay for the screws I realized that I had left my wallet in the cabin.
I drove back about eight miles to cabin to get the wallet.
On the way home I stopped to check out an old Manzanita tree that had fallen near the road.
It had some interesting branches on it so when I got home I put the chain saw in the back of the jeep.
I ate lunch, took a little break and went back to town to get the screws.
This time I was successful.
On the way home I stopped and cut some branches off the Manzanita.

When I got to the cabin I was not in the mood to put up the tin so I decided to play with the Manzanita branches and see what kind of decoration I could make.
At first I was not to thrilled by the way it came out but the more I look at it the better I like it.

IMGP3089

Had a fire in the stove again tonight.

IMGP3090

Wednesday;

Started putting up the tin early this morning . It went better than I thought it would, although it wore me out running up and down ladders all morning.

Measuring for the cutout.

IMGP3099

More measuring.

IMGP3097

Cutting the tin.

IMGP3100

Sliding in the last piece.

IMGP3098 

I finished the roof about ten minutes before Joanne and Dave showed up.

IMGP3101 

Good timing  :o) I can take the rest of the day off.

Thursday;

Dave helped me put the gutter over the steps.

 IMGP3104

The only things to do for the cabin to be completely done now is to put the hand rails on the steps and hinge the front window.

I Left the cabin around 4:00.
Had a great four days and got a lot accomplished.

No comments:

Post a Comment