Wednesday, October 3, 2018

Birthday Weekend at the Cabin.



Friday

We got to the cabin around 11:20. Joanne and Dave were already there. They had arrived around 10:45.

Moving In.

We spent the first part of the day getting moved in. After that we just shade hopped and visited. We had lunch around 1:00.

Cards.

After lunch we played a game of Jokers Rummy and visited. Patti won the first game.
After one game we took a break. Around 5:30 we fixed supper. After supper we played another game of cards; Joanne won that one.

Bed Time.

Around 9:15, Joanne and Dave went to their lodge. We listened to some old radio programs for a while and went to sleep.

Saturday.

The morning started off gray and overcast. We knew that it was going to rain some time today.

Chores.

After breakfast Patti and I moved some firewood, stacking most of it on the porch.
After that, I sharpened the chainsaw.
Once that was done, I caulked some spaces I found in the cabin walls. I’m constantly finding new cracks as the wood expands and contracts with the weather.

Rain.

Around 12:00, the rain started. It was light at first but became heavier as time went on.

We spent a lot of time indoors. Patti, Dave and I played a game of Rummy. Patti won.

The rain slowed in the late afternoon and by evening it had stopped.

More Cards.

After supper we gathered around the table in the cabin and played two more games of Jokers Rummy.
Dave won one game and I won the other. We are now even. Each of us have won one game.

Around 10:00 Joanne and Dave went to their lodge and we went to bed.

The rain started again some time in the early morning.

Sunday.


Trail Work.

Around 10:00 we headed up the Bear Spring Road to do some work on the trail.

Hi ho, hi ho, its off to work we go.

IMGP3504

Everyone carried a tool; Dave had the Chain Saw, Joanne had the Rake, Patti carried a pair of loppers and I had the Pulaski.

The Bear Spring Road.

IMGP3505

We stopped at the first bench on the trail for a break. After sitting around on the bench for a few minutes. We continued out the trail cleaning up fallen trees and other trip hazards.

Here I am removing a root from the middle of the trail.

IMGP3506

Here are the ladies taking selfies.

IMGP3509

Joanne raking the trail.

IMGP3514

Dave and I clearing downed trees from the trail.

IMGP3522

State Mollusk.

Patti got a picture of our state Mollusk, a Banana Slug. They are pretty fast so you have to be on your toes to photograph one.

IMGP3532

Patti did more than just take pictures, she also was lopping off  branches that were in the way but no one got her picture doing it.

We got back to the cabin around 1:30 and had a light lunch.

Dinner, a Celebration and Cards.

After lunch we all went about our own affairs. Around 5:30 I cooked some Lamb T bones, Asparagus and sliced heirloom tomatoes for supper.

After supper, Joanne and Dave came up and we had Pie and Cupcakes for my Birthday celebration.

IMGP3536

After the pie and cup cakes, we played two games of Jokers Rummy. I won the first game and Patti won the last one.

Okay, that was how I spent my birthday. It was just right!

Monday.

Spent the day just puttering around the place.

Around noon Joanne and Dave headed for home.
Patti and I hung out in the cabin.
I tried to fix the front door as it is sagging a little and dragging on the bottom. My fix didn’t work so I’ll have to think of something else.

Fixed Pork tenderloins, green beans and mashed potatoes for supper. Yumm.

In the evening, Patti and I played a couple games of rummy. She won.

Tuesday.

We got up around 8:00 and started packing stuff up.

By 12:00 we were ready to go. We got home around 2:30 and were unpacked by 3:30.

It was a great weekend. It was good to experience the rains finally starting. I hope they keep it up for the rest of the year. Of course I know that wont happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment