Thursday, November 23, 2017

A Short Ride Into the Plomosa Mountains.


No Plans.

We didn’t have anything planned for Wednesday.
The only thing was the bumper that I ordered was supposed to arrive some time today.
Around noon, Patti asked what were we going to do today.
I suggested that we take a ride.

Picking up Rocks.

I wanted to get a few rocks to use to set up the fire pit we brought down this year.  

First we needed gas so we went to the Arco and filled the tank.
The Arco Station was very crowded with all the people who are setting out for the Thanksgiving Holiday.
It took a while but eventually we got gas.

Sunkist Trail.

After filling the tank we got onto Sunkist Rd. It is a wide graded road that goes from our side of town to Plomosa Road. It intersects with Plomosa Rd. about half way to Bouse and is a “short cut” of sorts.

Plomosa Mountains.

The Plomosa Mountains are East of Quartzsite and run from north near Highway 72 to south to I-10.
The area is very volcanic with lots of jeep trails and some interesting rocks.

Into the Mountains.

We turned left onto a small trail that goes through a high pass…

IMG_9972

into the large valley between the mountains.

IMG_9974

The large mountains in the picture are called the Four Peaks. You can only see two of the peaks from here.

IMG_9973

Red Rocks.

To the left are some Red Rocks that I wanted to check out for possible fire pit rocks.

We headed in that direction and shortly we arrived at the rocks.

IMG_9975

As we were passing the lower part of the rocks, I noticed what looked like a  cave and could see daylight through the opening.
We drove past it and stopped at the top  where I found a couple of nice red volcanic rocks for the fire pit.

The Cave.

After loading the rocks into the back of the jeep we drove back around the lower rocks and stopped to check out the “cave”.

IMG_9985

As it turned out the cave was just a space under this pile of huge boulders. It looks like the space was dug out many years ago when they were doing some mining here.

In this picture, Patti is pulling thorns out of the sole of her tennis shoes. The thorns penetrated the sole of the shoe to stick her in the foot.

IMG_9983

We hung out here in the shade for a while.

I found a comfortable spot under the rock where I could lean back against a flat rock.
I got to looking at the rock over my head.

IMG_9977

I noticed that the rock was only supported at one end and is just cantilevered over where I am sitting.
That was a little unnerving  so after a few more minutes we went back to the jeep and started the ride back home.

Heading Back Home.

We drove East along a small trail and eventually came to Plomosa Road. Here we turned south and drove a few miles. Just passed where we went into the area earlier, we took a left turn on a very small trail that goes into the South Plosoma Mountains.
The trail goes through a narrow wash with brush and high walls.

IMG_9988

Quartz Outcrop.

We stopped at an outcrop of Quartz so I could look for a nice rock or two but I didn’t find anything loose that I wanted to use.

IMG_9990

Back on Sunkist Trail.

We wandered around here for a while and ended up back on Plomosa Road. We followed Plomosa back to Sunkist Trail.
We turned onto Sunkist and headed for home.
As we were driving along Patti asked me to stop so she could get a picture of this Saguaro skeleton.

IMG_9992

Back at the RV.

We got home around 3:00.
We were sitting in the shade of the RV when a UPS truck turned onto our street.
He drove past our place and went to Dennis M’s.
He had ordered the Rear Track Bar Mount from 4wheel Parts the same day I ordered the new bumper for my jeep.
The UPS truck left Dennis’s and drove right past our place. I yelled at him when he went by but he was busy and ignored me.
I was a little upset that he didn’t stop.

Sue and Denis were at Cheryl and Dennis’ so when they left there they stopped by for a few minutes.

About 45 minutes later the UPS truck came back with my bumper.

Okay that pretty much does it for Wednesday.

Thanksgiving Supper.

Thursday we are going to Cheryl and Dennis’ for Thanksgiving.
I am making up a double batch of Nopolitos for the supper. We aren’t having Turkey this time.

Happy Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment