Sunday, December 16, 2018

Hooking up the Satellite TV.


Figuring Stuff Out.

The instructions for the Sat-tv dome says that the cable should be hooked up directly to the receiver via the supplied cable with no splices and a maximum length of 50ft.

IMG_4315

There is no way to get the cable into the fifth wheel without drilling a hole through the wall.
I didn’t want to do that. After a lot of investigation and trying to find a way to get the cable to the receiver, I decided to try hooking it up to the external antenna port and it worked. There are at least 3 splices in this cable. So much for the directions.

Power.

The dome has to have 12V supplied constantly to keep the dish inside aligned to the satellite. There are no 12V outlets on the outside of the trailer. I had to find some way to get power out of the trailer.

The Solution.

What I ended up doing was to buy a 12 volt socket like the ones in your car.
I connected this socket to the Battery.

IMG_4320

I still need to drill a one inch hole in the bottom of the battery compartment so the plug can fit through and allow the door to the compartment to close.I will need to buy a 1” hole saw for that. I’ll use some steel wool to plug the hole after the cable is through. That will keep the critters out and can be removed easily.

Mounting the TV

I needed to figure out a way to mount the TV. There aren’t many places for the TV so what I decided to do was to take a tea table that we don’t like. I removed the legs and use the table’s top for a shelf to set the TV on.

IMG_4324

I set the tabletop in the old TV hole just sticking out enough for the TV and put one screw in the back to hold it in place and make it easy to remove when we bring the slide in for the summer.

Here is how it looks.

IMG_4325

The most important thing is that the TV works.

The Parade of Lights.

Last evening around 7:00 Quartzsite had their annual Parade Of Lights. The parade is ATV’s, motorcycles and RV’s all decorated with colorful lights.
It starts on Main street and ends at the community center.
The community center is  just down the street from us.
Patti loves a parade so she bundled up, took a camp chair and sat on the curb to watch the parade.

Here are a few pictures of the Parade.

20181215_193056

20181215_193104

20181215_194101

I stayed in the trailer but could watch the parade from my dinette window.

Pie and Ice-cream

After the parade we went to Freda and Gene’s for Pie and Ice-cream. We had a nice visit and came home around 9:00.

It was a good productive day.

No comments:

Post a Comment