Sunday, June 17, 2018

Finish the Oil Filler Project.

Fathers Day Breakfast

Patti and I got up late this morning. We decided to eat breakfast out at our favorite breakfast place, Hanks Creekside Café.
Unfortunately everyone else in town had the same idea as the  parking lot was jammed and there were people waiting outside.
We ended up having breakfast at Adel’s. It is good but not like Hanks.

Buying Some Parts.

The first thing that needed to be done once we got back from breakfast this morning, was to buy a piece of 1-1/4” X 6” pipe nipple and a screw on cap.
I headed off to the closest hardware store.
When I got there I went straight to the pipe stuff and found the nipple right away. I looked around for a long time trying to find a screw on cap. I wanted a ABS or PVC plastic cap since a metal one is going to get to hot to handle.
They didn’t have any plastic caps so I settled for a metal one for now.

I also bought some epoxy putty.

Back at home.

When I got home I needed to check out the height of the pipe in  place.
I set the valve cover on the engine with the pipe sitting in the cap mount. I eyeballed the situation and decided to cut about 2” off the pipe.
I put the pipe in the lathe and used a cut off tool to cut it. That way it makes a perfectly flat cut.

Here it is sitting on the valve cover cut to length but not epoxied in place yet.

IMGP3100

Breather Tube Fitting.

The next job is to drill and tap a hole in  the side of the pipe to install a fitting for the PCV breather tube.

First I drilled a pilot hole and then finished it with a drill the right size for the tap.

IMGP3101

Next I put the pipe in the vice and tapped the hole for 3/8 pipe thread.

IMGP3102

I put some epoxy on the threads of the fitting so it won’t come out easily.

This is what it looks like at this stage.

IMGP3103

Epoxy.

Okay now it is time to epoxy the two parts together.
I cut off about a half inch piece of the epoxy stick and kneaded it between my thumb and fingers until it was well mixed.  I
rolled the glob of epoxy into a long skinny “rope”. I laid a small length of this rope into the hollow in the old cap where the pipe will go.
Next I pushed the pipe into the hollow squeezing out some of the epoxy around the edges. Next, I kneaded some more epoxy and worked it around the outside of the pipe, pushing it into the small gap as much as possible and working it up the sides of the pipe.

I took a break to let the epoxy set up some before the next step.
After my break I removed the filler pipe from the valve cover with a careful half turn to the left, .
Next, I turned the valve cover over and applied a layer of blue silicon sealer to the mating surface then I carefully laid the gasket in place , pressed it down all around.

A Visit With Felice.

At this point I ran out of silicon and was about to dash off to the auto parts store when my youngest daughter stopped by for a visit.
Felice stopped by to wish me a Happy Father’s Day. She brought a delicious home made crumb cake. Yummmmm!
We had a nice visit. Felice stayed for about an hour and a half.

Off to the Parts Store.

After Felice left I headed for the parts store to buy some more sealer.
I was back in about 20 minutes.

Install the Valve Cover.

As soon as I got back from the parts store I laid a bead of sealer all the way around the exposed side of the gasket. I spread that out along the gasket with my finger and let it stand for a while.
Next, I managed to get the valve cover through all the wires and tubes and set in place and only got blue silicon on a few things.
After that it was just a matter of tightening down the screws and that’s done.

Here it is in place.
You can see the epoxy on the lower side.

IMGP3104 
Okay, its quitting time. Tomorrow I will work on swapping the Distributer Caps. That should be easy. I just hope it solves the high speed acceleration miss problem.

We’ll find out tomorrow.

Note:

I don’t know how many people know this so I thought I would pass it along.

To remove the epoxy and the blue silicon from my hands and fingers I used WD40.
As soon as you are finished working with any sticky stuff or paint or thick black grease, spray some WD40 on your hands and scrub them together. You will be amazed how easy it removes the stuff. When you are done wash your hands in soap and water to remove the dissolved crud.

1 comment:

  1. Marty change the ECT sensor {engine-coolant-sensor} it can cause stalling,rich condition/ low and high speed failing/ let me know much cheaper than a dist. Steve

    ReplyDelete