Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Broken Stuff.

 

First Thing.

The first thing that I did when we got home on Saturday was to turn on the: water, gas and electricity.
Next I lit the pilot light on our very old water heater.

IMG_3925

I think this water heater is the original one that was installed when the house was built 67 years ago. The new ones last about 10 years if you’re lucky.

I lit the pilot and the heater started like always so I went about my business.

The Next Thing.

A couple hours later I decided to get the TV going. We always have to reinitialize the receiver after being gone for 6 months. We also have to call Direct TV to have them set up the local channels.

I picked up the remote to turn on the set but it didn’t work.
“Dead battery”, I thought so I put new batteries in the remote. It still doesn’t work.
What the heck?
I thought about it for a while then went to the RV and got the remote we use there; it’s a Direct TV remote so I figured that it would run the receiver in the house.
The remote worked on the receiver but it won’t control the TV. That’s ok because we can use the TV remote for that.
Okay, so after calling Direct TV and getting the local channels programed we were good to go. I’ll have to get another remote.

Sunday Morning.

When I got up Sunday morning and went to take a shower I found that the hot water wasn’t very hot. If I only turned on the hot water it was just warm enough to take a shower so I went ahead and showered.
When I was dressed I went to the garage and took a look at the water heater. The Pilot light was off. I tried several times to get the pilot to work but no go. It will light but as soon as I try to start the burner the pilot goes out. I found that if I use a propane torch I can get the burner to light but as soon as the water gets up to temp and the burner shuts down the pilot also goes off.
I think it is about time to change the water heater.

Checking out Water Heaters.

We went to a couple places to look at new water heaters. Man, they have gotten pretty expensive.
For a 30 gallon heater it runs from four to six hundred dollars and they only have a six year warrantee.
We decided which one we wanted but didn’t buy it at that time.

Need a Stand.

The new code for water heaters states that they have to be 18 inches off the floor. I will have to build a stand to put a new heater on.
I spent Monday on that project and here is the result.

IMG_3926

It’s all painted and ready to go.

Today (Tuesday) we are going to get the new heater and I will see if I can get it installed in one day. There is a lot of stuff that will have to be modified to get it installed.

Okay that is where things stand as of this morning. I’ll let you know how this works out.

No comments:

Post a Comment