Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Monday 7/18 ride from Redmond, OR to Plymouth, WA.

Leaving Redmond Oregon.

Around 9:30 we said good bye to Samantha and headed north on 97.

IMG_6447

Following the Columbia River.

We followed 97 to Biggs, OR where we got onto I-84 heading east along the Columbia River.
The first dam we came to was the John Day Dam.

IMG_6449 
We also saw some barges on the river.

IMG_6452

IMG_6461

After about 5 hours of travel we came to Umatilla, OR  just across the river from Plymouth. Plymouth has no services so we stopped in Umatilla for gas.

Plymouth RV park.

One of the reasons we like to stop here is that the RV park has the only available shade for about 100 miles in all directions and it is always hot when we are here.

IMG_6464

With the motor home it isn’t a problem because it has AC. The van doesn't.

The Van.

The van ran crappy the whole trip. It accelerates ok but now it won’t cruse.  It will go along nicely for a while then it will start to shudder and loose speed. As you slowly depress the accelerator it slows down even more; then it will burst forward and accelerate.
Most of the time it is either decelerating or accelerating.
Then sometimes it will smooth out and run pretty good for a few minutes.
The check engine light comes on for short periods of time. When the check engine light comes on the engine tends to smooth out and run almost good.
From what I can determine the error codes point to either the MAP sensor or the computer as the problem. I hate to do it but I think that I am going to just buy a MAP sensor to see if it fixes the problem. They are over $100 so I am hesitant without knowing that the old one is actually bad. I have no means to test the sensor at this point.

I have decided that if we can’t fix the problem by the 24th of July, that is the day we are to start the actual Continental Divide trip,
I am going to pullout and probably tow the van home.

Now I am wishing that I would have left the carburetor system in the van. It may have been smelly (boiling gas in the carb when stopped) but it ran great.

Okay, that’s it for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment