Saturday, July 8, 2017

Install the Harmonic Balancer on the Van Engine.


Pick Up Parts.

Around 8:30 Friday morning I drove to the parts place and picked up the new Harmonic Balancer for the van.

Get Started

I got started working on installing the Balancer as soon as I got home. It is supposed to be hot this afternoon so I want to get this done early.

Install the Seal.

The first thing to do is to install the front oil seal. First I spread some RTV around the outside edge of the seal. Then I used a large socket to push the seal in with. 

Here is the socket and the seal waiting to be installed

IMGP0743

The seal went in with no problems.

IMGP0744

Time to Install the Balancer.

I put some grease on the inside and outside of the hole and seal surface of the balancer.
The Balancer fits over the end of the crankshaft and has a key to keep it from turning.
To push the Balancer on there is a threaded hole in the end of the crankshaft where you insert a 7/16-20 bolt with a big thick washer and as you tighten the bolt it press’s the Balancer onto the shaft.
I had a devil of a time getting the Balancer to go all the way on. I ended up using my longest breaker bar on a socket to tighten it up. I even broke one of the bolts I was using.

You can see the end of the bolt in this picture. Fortunately the bolt came out easily.


IMGP0746

I found another bolt and continued to press the Balancer on.
Eventually I got it as far as it would go. The grooves on the Balancer line up with the grooves on the fan pulley so I guess it is good.

Install the Radiator.

I installed the belts for the fan and alternator and then installed the radiator.

IMGP0747

Getting the radiator in by ones self is a struggle as it has to go in from the bottom.  I hope I didn’t damage any of the tubes.

To Hot to Work.

I went to the auto parts store to get some coolant but by then it was about 105° outside and it was to hot to continue working.
Tomorrow (Saturday) I’ll finish this up. It got to 108° today.

No comments:

Post a Comment