Sunday, February 9, 2014

Lots of rain and a little road maintenance 02-09-14

It was raining lightly when I got to the cabin at around 11:30.
I started a fire in the wood stove and then unloaded my stuff from the jeep. After moving in and sitting around for a little while, I decided to put up the lantern hanger that I made for the Colman lantern. I wanted to put it on the main beam above the kitchen sink and stove.
I went to the back of the house, got the small step-ladder and brought it inside. I got the cordless drill that I left here last time, from behind the stove.
The drill sounded a little weak when I put the driver bit into the chuck. That cant be! It was fresh when I left it here a couple of weeks ago. I set up the ladder climbed up with the bracket, two screws and the drill-driver.
I positioned the bracket, screw and drill-drive; pulled the trigger and the driver turned the screw about five turns and stopped.
Rats!!
Not to be dissuaded; I found a couple of nails and nailed the bracket up. It worked but I was not happy with it.

IMGP3619

Dave got there a little after noon.
We hung out in the cabin for most of the day visiting and watching the rain fall.
I told him about the problem I was having with the lantern bracket.
He informed me that he had a drill in his truck.
Cool!!
I went out back and got the ladder again.
Dave got his drill from the truck.
In a few minutes we had the bracket re-hung with screws. I am much happier with that.

Saturday morning the rain increased considerably. It poured non stop for several hours.
Dave and I figured this would be a perfect opportunity to do some road maintenance, ie: cleaning ditches, etc.
We suited up in what rain gear we had and with a couple shovels, a chainsaw and loppers in the jeep, we started up the road. We stopped many times to cut small drainage ditches to get water off the road before it can make a rut.

IMGP3626

We slowly drove all the way down to the creek, draining water off the road as we went.

The creek had come up a lot in the last couple of days.

IMGP3627

We crossed and went into the grove to check things out.

IMGP3628

A large limb had fallen from one of the redwood trees onto one of the camp spots.

IMGP3631 

We walked down to the swimming hole to check it out.

IMGP3633

The water is a bit brown and rising fast.
I hope we get some good storms to gouge out the swimming hole this year. The hole is starting to silt in.

IMGP3632

My rain gear wasn’t up to today’s storm and I got pretty wet. I spent much of the rest of the day sitting around in my skivvies drying my pants above the wood stove.

IMGP3634

Boy, it sure is nice having a warm cabin to come back to after playing in the rainy woods all day.

We spent the remainder of the day hanging out in the cabin watching the rain, reading and listening to the radio. In the evening we played rummy. Dave won.

Sunday morning we got a break from the rain just long enough to load our vehicles. We left the cabin around 10:30 and I was home around 11:45.

Tomorrow I have a cat scan in the morning. The rest of the day will be devoted to last minute packing.

On Tuesday I go to the Dr. for the results and after that we will get on the road for Quartzsite.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment