Wednesday, January 26, 2011

01-26-11

Yesterday, we took a ride to see if we could find the Cinnabar mine. I had the rout loaded into my GPS but I forgot to load the map for that area so there was no detail.

We started the trip with Suzanne, Roy, Missy, Junior, Becky, Dennis and Joanne and Dave from Idaho on their quad’s. It was the first time that Joanne and Dave had been on one of our tours. They had never seen what is locally called “The Big Foot” so since it was on our way we stopped to let them check it out.

IMG_4926

DSC00231

Someone had oiled the “foot print” so it would show up better.

I call this the “Big Fraud” because I don’t think that there were any humans on this continent when this rock was formed. I know the feature is intriguing but I don’t buy it.

From there we headed over the power line road to the western side of the mountains.

The members of the Colorado Indian reservation have erected new signs on that road stating that a permit was required.

DSC00236

We had our permits but Roy and Junior didn’t, so they stayed on the east side and went on a different ride.

We wandered around in the desert for a while, looking at rocks and the scenery.

Patti got a picture of the the first cactus blooms of the season.

IMG_4928

We turned around at about 3:30 and got back to “Q” about 4:30 where we met with the Suzanne, Roy, Debby and Mike at “Best Mexican”. We had a fine supper. It took us four hours to get to the turnaround point and one hour to get back.

After we got home I downloaded the track we took onto the map with the rout on it and found where I messed up. After looking at where we were, compared to where we had to be, I saw that the next time we try to find the Cinnabar Mine we will have to start earlier in the morning and do less site seeing and I will also have to pay more attention to the GPS.

It was a good trip none the less.

No comments:

Post a Comment