Friday, January 7, 2011

01-07-11

On the east side of The Three Peaks, which is in the North Plomosa Mountains is a very deep open mine shaft. Junior has been trying to show it to David but has been having trouble finding it, so yesterday Patti and I took Junior and David out there.

We left the park around noon, drove up AZ-95 to Plomosa Rd and drove East where we turned into the mountains at the historical marker.

IMG_4744

I didn’t want to just drive directly to the “hole” so we took a couple of side trails.

One trail went to hill that was mostly composed of brick red rock and I wanted to check it out because I had never been there before.

IMG_4745

IMG_4747

From there we followed a trail that went into a wash going North. We came to a spot in the wash where we had to chose a left or a right turn. The last time Patti and I had been in this wash we had turned right so I knew that direction would take us eventually to the “big hole” but as I said, I didn’t want to just go directly there so we took the trail to the left. I was hoping that it would eventually work its way over to the Three Peaks. Unfortunately after about a mile the track petered out in the bottom of a narrow wash.

IMG_4749

We turned around and retraced our path to the intersection and after traveling for a couple of miles we came to the hole.

IMG_4751

From there we continued north through the rocky hills

IMG_4752

and eventually ended up back at Plomosa Rd.

Today we are getting the small awnings replaced on “Plan B”

No comments:

Post a Comment