Thursday, October 5, 2017

7 Days in September at the Cabin.


Sunday.

We got to the cabin around 12:30.

I arrived about a half hour before Patti so I got the fridge going and unloaded the jeep. When she showed up we unloaded her car and got everything moved in.

IMGP1981

We brought two cars because I need the jeep to pull some trees off the beach at the Grove and there wasn’t enough room for everything in the jeep.

Lunch and a Walk.

We had some lunch then I took a walk up the road to the spring tanks to check to see if there was any water coming from the springs. The flow was small but adequate.

Unfortunately I forgot to take a camera with me.

Monday

Sweep the Roof.

After breakfast I got on the roof of the cabin to sweep off all the redwood droppings.

IMG_8533

Fix the Skull

I put a cow skull at the end of the main beam of the cabin. The horns were loose as they weren’t the original horns on this head and one had flopped down.

IMG_8535

I had just stuck the horns on the skull when I put it up. Now I had to take the skull down and fix the horns.

I took the skull to my work bench and assessed the situation.

IMG_8541

I decided to screw the horns onto the skull.

IMG_8550

Next, I had to get back on the roof to replace the skull.

IMG_8553

Now, that looks better.

IMG_8554

Redwood Tree.

We went down to the creek to see if we could salvage a redwood tree that floated down the creek to our swimming hole last winter.

Matt and Mike cut the tree into four pieces a couple of weeks ago.

IMG_8556

I want to get the tree off the beach so that it doesn’t get washed away this winter. There is a lot of good lumber ($$$) just laying there.

We drug the logs up to higher ground using the jeep. Starting with the longest one.

IMG_8561

To get out of the creek bed you have to go up a steep bank between a couple of trees.

It’s a little tight.

IMG_8573

I drug them all up to this spot where they will be safe from the winter creek rise. I hope.

IMG_8565

We drug one of the smaller pieces up to the cabin.

IMG_8577

Goofed off the rest of the day.

Tuesday.


Trail Work.

The last time I walked the trail, there was a tree that had fallen across it.

IMG_8578

I decided that today was a good day to remove it so Patti and I hiked up the hill behind the cabin to where the tree was and proceeded to cut it out of the way.

IMG_8582

It didn’t take to long for the two of us to clean things up.

IMG_8587

Move Some Firewood.

There were a couple of small piles of firewood around so I got the wheelbarrow and moved them to one spot near the fire pit.

A short walk.

Later on Patti and I took a short walk up the road toward the gate.

IMG_8588

We stopped at the second bench.

IMG_8589

Wednesday.

Trail Work.

We spent some time today doing work on the trail.
Patti and I took a rake and loppers and walked along the trail raking off the leaves and sticks to define the trail.

IMG_8594

We worked our way to the small creek crossing.

IMG_8597

I cleaned away a log that had fallen across the trail.

IMG_8598

We spent the rest of the day enjoying the passage of time.

Thursday.

Doctors Appointment.

Patti had a doctors appointment tomorrow so she left here around 10:30 this morning.

A Couple Little Chores.

After Patti left, I moved some firewood off the hill and stacked it by the driveway.

IMGP1987

Next, I started the generator to charge a battery and didn’t want to sit around and listen to it running all day so I decided to go work on the trail.

Trail Work.

I walked out the trail and picked up the rake that I left there yesterday.
Once I had the rake I continued along the trail cleaning it up as I went.

IMG_8592

A Big Beehive.

After a short distance, I came across a large beehive that had apparently fallen out of a tree.

I stopped to take a picture but there were still some large hornets flying around so I didn’t stay long.

IMGP1996

I continued along the trail taking my time enjoying the day in the woods.

Bob’s Here.

I didn’t get back to the cabin until after 4:00.
Bob’s van was parked in his normal spot and he came over to the cabin when I arrived.
We BS’ed for the rest of the day.

Friday.

Fixing the Spring.

Bob brought up a bucket of clay so we could finally seal the main water spring properly.

After breakfast we put some tools and the clay in the jeep and drove up to the trail.

Heavy Load.

We put a limb through the bail on the bucket so we could carry the clay up the hill to the spring.

IMGP2003

We got as far as the first bench.

IMGP2002

We decided that we didn’t need all that clay so we dumped about half of it.

IMGP2004

The bucket was a little lighter now.

Made it to the Spring.

It was a struggle and we had to set the load down a few times but we finally made it up to the spring.

The last part of the trail is really narrow so before we could get to the spring with that heavy load I had to do a little work on the trail.

IMGP2005 
Eventually we got to the spring and Bob worked on sealing the spring.

IMGP2008

I continued working on the trail.

Back at the Cabin.

We finished the spring job and went back to the cabin around noon. I was just starting to get my lunch when Patti drove up.
We all visited for a while then Bob left for home.

First Fire.

It got pretty cool in the evening so I got a fire going in the wood stove. This is the first fire of this fall.

IMGP2011Saturday.

Puttering.

Saturday was my birthday so I spent most of the day just puttering with things; Swapping batteries, picking up tools, etc.

One thing I did was to hang up the sheep skull that I found in AZ.

IMGP2013

A Walk.

In the afternoon we took a walk up the road to the old mill/ “Slag heap”.

IMGP2012

Sunday.

The Worst Day.

Today is the worst day of any trip up here.

It is going home day!Sad smile

After breakfast we will move out and clean the cabin for the next time.

1 comment:

  1. That cabin is just the nicest thing to have. I'll bet Patti really enjoys it there too. That redwood would make for another great bench that you make to rest on when you walk the trails. You can't have too many benches in my opinion (and at my age, ha). Beautiful getaway place that you have!

    ReplyDelete