Sunday, August 23, 2015

Work on another twist handle.

 

Patti update:

Patti is doing great. I know she is feeling better because she is getting very bored and is anxious to start driving again.

More twist handle work:

The second handle that I tried to make was a little different than the first one in that it is made in five parts. The first part was the Basket Twist grip. which you saw in the last post.

Next I made the “legs” for the handle.

IMGP5816

These I made from 1/2” rod that I punched a square hole in one end of and then drew the metal down to a taper and put a twist in them.

In the below picture you can see how the handle fits to the legs.

IMGP5815 

Next, the two leaves for the base had to be made. First, I traced the leaf pattern on a piece of 1/8” flat stock and cut the leaves out on the ban saw. Once they were cut out I heated them up and peened the surface to give the metal that hand forged look. Next I had to drill the screw holes and the center hole to accept the legs. Fitting the whole thing together was pretty finicky and took me a long time. I was hopping that I could push the ends of the legs through the center hole in the leaf and peen the ends over like a rivet. I tried that but couldn’t get it tight enough and it left a large lump on the back of the leaf so it won’t sit flat. I ended up grinding the lump off and welding the leg to the leaf.

Here is how it turned out. In the picture it looks a little crooked but the handle isn’t welded to the legs it is just slipped through the square holes. Once it is screwed down it will straitened out.

IMGP5820

The last handle:

I started the last handle. I decided to keep the first handle that I made and make another one like it.

A new tool for the job:


I made a bending fork so it will be easier to bend the legs without distorting the handle. The bottom end of the fork fits in the hardy hole in the anvil.

IMGP5821

First, I made the leaves for the feet of the handle. Then I cut the 1/4” rods for the basket and welded them to the 1/2” rod for the legs.

IMGP5818

The next thing I will have to do is heat the work and pound it into the shape I want,
then twist the basket, bend the legs and weld on the leaf shaped feet.

That’s it for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment