Sunday, August 30, 2015

Some Work on the Van and a Patti Update.


Patti update:

Patti is doing great; she is driving and shopping and puttering around the house. She is mostly pain free except after her PT visits and by the end of the day.

Work on the Van:

A couple of years ago the alternator went out in the van. At that time I removed the auxiliary battery because I thought that maybe it had shorted out and taken out the alternator. I wasn’t using the van for camping at that time so it didn’t need the aux. battery or the inverter.
I decided to to replace the battery with one of the “deep cycle” ones that I have been using at the cabin for the frig. When I hooked up the wire for the inverter, it sparked.
“That’s not right”!

As is turned out the DC to AC inverter had been the part that shorted out and took out everything else.

I went to Harbor Freight and bought a new 1000W inverter.

The new inverter is about half the size of the old one. The old one is on the left.


The wires that power the new inverter are much smaller than the old one; the lugs on the inverter are also smaller so I will have to rewire the system with smaller wires.


The new inverter will be installed on the front of the wheel well box covering the big square hole. There has been two inverters mounted here previously, that’s why there are all those holes.

I should be done with this by the end of today. I hope. :o)


Okay, It took me about an hour to finish the inverter installation.


The light comes on when I turn on the switch so I guess it is working.

No comments:

Post a Comment