Thursday, April 2, 2015

Barrel’s for the spring. 04-02-15

 

Okay its been a couple of days so here is what’s been going on.

We cleaned out the RV and on Tuesday we put it in storage.
Of course we forgot a lot of things and will have to go to the storage place in the next couple of days to get them; we have a list.

Spring Barrels

The barrel we used on the new water spring that we set up at the cabin last year collapsed during the winter. I think due to a bad venting system.

IMGP0495

Yesterday I went to the salvage place and bought a couple of 55 gallon plastic barrels to replace the collapsed one and double the capacity.

The last time I bought barrels I got the white ones but this time they all smelled of vinegar. The blue ones had had soy sauce in them so I figured that it was easier to get rid of the soy taste than the vinegar taste.

IMG_1637

One difference between the white barrels and the blue ones is; the bungs on the white ones are the same and are pre threaded for a 3/4 npt thread. On the blue ones; one of the bungs is threaded and the other isn’t.

This means that I would have to thread the bung myself. I thought I had a 1/2” pipe thread tap but I was mistaken. My largest pipe thread tap was only 3/8”.

What to do?

I got to looking around in my junk and came up with an old 1/2” pipe nipple that I had ground down for some other purpose. since I was working with plastic I thought that this would work as a tap so I clamped it in a vice.

IMG_1638 

Then I drilled a 3/4” hole through the center of the bung and then twisted the bung onto the pipe all the way down to the bottom of the threads.

IMG_1640

The threads aren’t perfect but they are good enough for the input to the barrel.

The next thing to do was to to put a vent hole on the bottom of the barrel. The barrels will be lying down so the vent will end up at the top/back of the barrel.
After drilling a 3/4” hole in the barrel and used the pipe and a vice-grip to make 1/2’ pipe threads.

IMG_1644

This should work just fine.

I have to buy a bunch of fittings and load a bunch of stuff in the van, then I will take it all up to the cabin in the next couple of days. This will be only a day trip.
I am going back to the cabin after Patti leaves to go to Oregon on the 8th of this month.
Patti will be gone until the end of the month and I will be at the cabin or most of the time.

I’ll talk to you in a couple days.

2 comments:

  1. Good Fix. Looks like that should work just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good. If you need any help mike and I are going up on the 17th for the weekend

    ReplyDelete