Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Modifying the tire carrier 04-22-14

In the morning I unloaded some more stuff from the motor home but after a while I got bored with that and decided to modify the tire carrier.
When I built the carrier, I made it to fit the wheels that were on the jeep at the time. When we were in Quartzsite I bought new offset wheels. Now the mount for the spare tire sticks out farther than I like so I had to shorten the mount by 2”.

IMGP3872

Fortunately the tire carrier is easy to remove so I pulled it off and clamped it to the welding table in my shop.
The first thing to do was to remove the tire mount from the carrier so it could be cut down. I don’t have a torch so I had to grind the welds off to remove the mount.

IMGP3874

Next I had to cut 2” off the end of the mount. Of course all the saw blades for my band saw were dull so I had to take a ride to Harbor Freight to buy a couple of blades. I put on the new blade and cut the end off the mount.

IMGP3875

After that I only had to weld the mount back on the carrier.

IMGP3877

Ok, that part is done so the next thing to do is to modify the gas can mount; it has to be 3” long.

IMGP3873

I will have to grind off the square tubing that is on the mount and weld on a 3 inch long piece.

I also plan to add a rubber bumper between the carrier and the door.

More about this project tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment