Wednesday, July 31, 2013

07-31-13

Yesterday morning I put a layer of epoxy on the crack in the RV bath tub. About an hour later I put on another layer. Only time will tell if this is a fix or not.
I sure hope it is a fix:o)

My 30 year old clothes dryer finally gave up the ghost.
Patti told me that while I was at the cabin she tried to use it and it made a lot of bad noises and wouldn’t dry the clothes properly.
I have worked on this old dryer many times over the years and was always able to resurrect it.
This time when I turned it on it screamed very piteously.
I thought that perhaps the tensioner for the belt was needing grease again so I pulled it off and inspected it. It was toast and I realized that grease wouldn’t fix it this time. I started the motor to see if it was ok and it was making more noise than the tensioner. After removing the motor and inspecting it I found that the bearings were worn out so I would have to replace the motor as well as the tensioner.
Patti told me that she had found a dryer on line at Best Buy for $313.
I replied that before I buy a new dryer I would like to see what the parts would cost to fix the old one.
Off to the Appliance Parts and Equipment store I went with the motor and tensioner in hand.
As it turned out the parts would cost me over $200 and I would have to order them and wait a couple of days.
I went back home and thought about it for a while.
The dryer was 30 years old and had been taken apart and repaired on several occasions. Most of the clips that hold the housing together were either broken, sprung or missing. I had had to work on it almost every summer for the last few years.
I guess it is time for a new one. 
Patti and I went to Best Buy to get a new dryer.
The one she found on the internet wasn’t available but they had a floor model that had just the basic controls on it (which is what we were looking for).
It was only $6 more than the one on the web so we bought it. One nice thing about buying a new one is; they will deliver the new one and take away the old one.

The new dryer will be here today:o)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment