Wednesday, March 31, 2010

03-31-10

Missy and Junior were returning to Quebec on Tuesday so Monday evening we had a Nopalies feed/potluck. Becky and I each made a double batch of Nopalies (a traditional southwest dish made with Beaver tail cactus). For the recipe see blog for Friday April 10th 2009.

Debby made Spanish rice, Suzanne brought Margaritas, Missy brought dip and tortillas and Cindy brought chips and dip.

The group consisted of



Missy and Junior
Cindy and David


When Missy and Junior arrived, they were waring these Canadian "T" shirts.





Debby and Mike

Suzanne and Roy
Becky and Dennis
Patti and me.
We all had a good time and everyone loved the Nopalies.

Yesterday Patti and I decided to take a ride up to Parker in order to see what the RV parks in that area were like. We crossed the Colorado River, turned right and drove along the north shore of the river.
We stopped at a OHV recreation area to check out a map at the Kiosk and after only a few minutes I tried to start the jeep to leave. When I turned the key I could here the starter solenoid clicking but the starter didn't turn. Fortunately there was a guy there and he helped us push start the jeep. It ran fine so I decided to just go back home and replace the starter. We got home all right and I jacked up the jeep. I had to go to the local parts house to buy some "Torx" sockets to removed the starter. I got the starter out but they didn't have a starter locally so I asked Dennis to take me to Blythe so I could buy one there.
I installed the new starter but when I tried it the solenoid clicked but the starter didn't turn.
Then it dawned on me that I had not followed the first rule of automotive electrical trouble shooting "Always check for corrosion on the battery connections first". Of course, there was some corrosion on the connection, so after cleaning it the starter worked just fine.
GRRRRRRR!!
Oh well, I got some new tools, a new starter and re-learned a big lesson on automotive electrical trouble shooting. I poured some oil over the battery posts so maybe they won't corrode for a while now.




No comments:

Post a Comment