Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Monday Ride, Wednesday Ride and a Broken Jeep


Prolog.

My blog software is not talking to the blog host (Blogger) and we are limited as to how much data we have available. Using "Blogger" I have to work on line so I use a lot of data therefore this blog will be short.

Monday 1/22/18

We went for a ride with Sue and Denis to the zip line.


Sue and Denis hadn't been the (back way) to the zip line so that is what we did.
We drove north on 95 and turned east on Shea Road. We stopped to air down. After airing down we started driving east. We got about 50 yds when I ran over a big clevis pin and punched it into the tire.


We put the spare tire on and continued the ride.
Here is one of the views from the trail.

Lake Havasu.

We wandered along the bluffs enjoying the scenery.

Okay that takes care of that ride.

The Wednesday Ride 1/24/18 

On Wednesday we took a ride to what we call "The Finger". You can see the finger in this picture.


This is one of the rougher trails in the area.

Everyone else has lockers on the front and rear so they didn't have much trouble with this spot. I have tried to get up this waterfall three times in the past with two different jeep's, but without front lockers I have had to be towed every time. This time is no exception.


We continued along the trail.


We had just gone through a particularly rough patch and I heard something dragging under the jeep.
I stopped to check it out and found that it was the right front lower control arm mount had broken off the axel.
Here I am holding it up at the broken end.


We removed the control arm...


and used a chain to keep the axel from twisting.


We still had a few miles to travel to get back to the pavement. Now I couldn't even use 4wd.

Fortunately we had gone through the roughest parts of the trail.


Eventually we made it to the pavement. I found that I could drive about 30 mph. on the pavement but if I went faster the jeep would start a death wobble and I would have to step on the brakes to stop it.

Running Man and a Tow Truck.

We made it all the way to the south end of  Parker and stopped at the Running Man Gas Station which has a huge parking area. Here we called AAA and got a tow truck to take us home.


Thursday.

I worked on taking the jeeps front axel off.


I ordered a new mount Wednesday night and it arrived Monday. The part was for the left side and I needed the one for the right side.
I got on the phone and ordered the right one. It should be here today or tomorrow. I also ordered new bushings for all the lower control arms.
I still need to find someone to weld the mount onto the axel.

Okay that's it for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment