Saturday, September 21, 2013

09-21-13

I have been puttering around with a project on the jeep the last couple of days.

I am attempting to build a tire carrier for the jeep.
The tire and gas can are just too heavy to be hanging on the back door.
I am trying to design the carrier so that it will swing open with the door without a second latch.
Also I wanted to be able to bolt the mechanism to the bumper rather than weld it.

The base is a piece of 3/16” X 2” X 3” angle with the pivot a 1” X 4 -1/2 – X 1” diameter grade 8 bolt affixed to the angle iron.

Once I got everything for the base plate measured it was time to machine the head of the 1” bolt so it would fit in a hole in the base plate where it will be welded.

IMGP3189

Then I had to drill the mounting holes in the base plate.

IMGP3194

After that I welded the 1” bolt then ground down the welds to clean things up.

IMGP3196

The next job was to machine a spacer that will cover the part of the bolt head that sticks above the surface of the mount and provide the spacing for the swing arm clearance. The spacer will be welded to the plate.

IMGP3198

A grade 8 washer will provide the bearing surface.
I am still working on the spacer. It will be done today, then I’ll weld it to the plate.

I had to get an ultra sound done yesterday so on the way home I stopped at the local salvage yard. I got the rest of the steel that I will need for the tire carrier; some 1/8” x 1” X 2” rectangular tubing and a 1’ piece of 2” cold roll steel stock.

IMGP3193 

Okay that’s it for now. Talk to you later.

Patti here:

I went to our grandson’s football game last night. They played against a team from Antioch (east bay) here at Santa Rosa High. Unfortunately Santa Rosa got their first loss, 50-16. They are now 2-1.

IMGP3223

IMGP3218

Number 7 is our grandson, Harvey.

No comments:

Post a Comment