Sunday, October 30, 2011

10-30-11

Saturday;10-23

Sonny got to my place around 9:00 Saturday morning. We loaded up and headed for IC. Got to the cabin around 11:00. I got my stuff out of his rig and moved in. We loaded Sonny’s gear into his SUV. I decided that it was still to damp to take down the wedge tent so I put that off until later in the week. The weather is supposed to be warm and dry this week. We’ll See!

Just about the time Sonny was fix’n to leave, Joanne and Dave showed up. They came up to take their camp down also but weren’t leaving until late Sunday afternoon. We visited for a while until Sonny left then Joanne and Dave got settled in.

The rest of the day we just puttered with individual projects. I personally did little, which is what I had planned for this week.

Sunday; 10-24

After breakfast, Joanne and Dave began in earnest to dismantle their camp. About the time they had all the interior cleared out, I climbed onto the roof of the cabin and swept all the redwood droppings off. The roof has a very low pitch and will likely have to be swept periodically.

When we got to a point where we could take a break from the projects, I suggested that we take the new bird thrower down the the “old home site” and see if it will hold together through a clay shooting session. We all climbed into pigpen with guns, ammunition, Joanne had the camera we were all set. When we got to the shooting area I realized that we had forgotten the birds. I let Joanne and Dave out and went back to the cabin and got the birds. After I got back it only took about ten minutes to assemble the rig. If I put wing nuts on the seat connection it will assemble much faster.

IMGP0050

The thrower performed well. There are a few adjustments that need to be made but it gave no indication of failing after about 50 rounds.

When we returned from testing the thrower, Joanne and Dave continued to take apart their camp.

IMGP0057

They left around 4:30.

IMGP0058 

I sat back and used what sunlight was left to read.

Ahhh! the Good Life!

Monday; 10-25

Got up around 8:00. It was cold in the cabin. I threw a couple pieces of wood in the stove and headed for the loo. By the time I got back the wood had caught so I added a couple of larger peaces. I lingered over breakfast, which is to say I had a second cup of cocoa and sat in front of the open door of the wood stove enjoying the radiant heat from the fire. Around 10:30 I decided that I would start taking down the wedge tent that Sonny had used. That is today’s project and I have all day to accomplish it.

IMGP0065

It took all day to deal with the tent. The sod cloths (bottom edge of the tent) were soaking wet so I had to let them dry before folding it up. I propped the edges up off the ground and waited. By about 4:00 I decided that things weren’t drying fast enough and the moisture in the air was going up so I took the tent into the dining hall and laid it out on the tables. I left it there until Wednesday when it was finally dry enough the fold up.

Tuesday: 10-26

Pretty much goofed off all day.

I did take a walk up the road past the old crapper to the crossing that Bob has been working on. It still needs some work.

Wednesday; 10-27

Another cold morning.

I sat around the cabin in front of the fire enjoying a second and third cup of cocoa until around 10:00.

IMGP0072

Later I grabbed the loppers and took a walk up the road to the mill flat to do some brush cutting along the road. Joanne and Dave have been doing road maintenance during the winter and there wasn’t much for me to cut. Good job guys!!

Bob showed up Around 5:30. He was intending to get here earlier but had trouble with his car. He ended up bringing his van. Which is basically a copy of Pigpen.

IMGP0095

Over 20 years ago, Bob helped me build my van, Pigpen. After taking a few trips in it he decided that he needed to build one for himself. I call it “Pigpen 2”.

 

Thursday;

Bob and I were sitting around the cabin deciding what to do today. I mentioned a clump of oak trees up the hill not far from the cabin that I would like to convert into firewood. We decided to take care of them so I filled the chain saw with fuel and we headed up the hill to the oaks.

Bob cut them down

IMGP0091

and I cut them up

IMGP0093

while Bob went up to do some more work on the crossing.

That should give me enough firewood for next season.

Friday;

Spent most of the morning loading the van for the trip back to Santa Rosa and cleared out the cabin.

IMGP0098

It is a little sad.

I guess Camp Run-A-muck is closed for another season. Hopefully I will be able to get back here a few more times before we head for Arizona.

I got home in time to go to Harvey’s football game. Unfortunately Harvey was benched.

IMGP0105

That’s what happens when you don’t keep your grades up.

Harvey’s team lost 40-13. They’re 6-2.

No comments:

Post a Comment