Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Nevada Trip Day,1.


ABORT!!!

Bob got to my place about 10:00 We BS’ed for a while. Eventually we got in the vans and headed out of Santa Rosa.

We drove north out of town on Calistoga Road which goes over a couple steep grades and ends up in Calistoga. The van ran pretty good going over the steep hills with just a little miss when I had to push it hard.
From Calistoga we went over ST Helena Grade, the van was running a little rough but still climbed the grade. By the time we got to Lower Lake the van was starting to act up.
We continued along and by the time we were leaving Lake County and entering the west side of the Sacramento Valley the van was missing and stumbling constantly and the check engine light was going on and off.
We planned to take Walnut Drive south off Highway 20. When we got there we made the turn and I pulled over to the side.

We got out and discussed the vans running problem.
I decided that it would not be smart to continue this trip with the van running like this so I decided to abort the trip. I said good bye to Bob and wished him a safe journey. Then I headed back to Santa Rosa.

Getting Home.

When I left Bob, the van seemed like it wanted to run good for a couple of miles; I was almost thinking of turning around but it was too late for that so I continued toward home.
When I began climbing the hills the van started acting up again. Missing, stumbling and backfiring.

As I was climbing the grade to Walker Ridge, the van seemed to run a little better when it was in 3rd gear (lower RPM) but eventually I had to shift down to 2nd and that is when the back firing and missing was the worst (higher RPM).
Near the top of the grade the van backfired a couple good ones and the exhaust gasket blew out. Now the van not only is running bad it is also sounding bad.
I managed to make it home ok.

Going to the Cabin.

I have decided to go to the cabin to get away from the van problem for a while.
There are a couple of projects I want to work on up there.

Okay that was my aborted trip to Nevada.
I’ll talk to you when I get back from the cabin.

2 comments:

  1. sorry about the abort Marty/ if you do read this 1} i told Bob 2 tell you to change the "ECT" sensor// a faulty one causes many symptoms you are having/ if you want to chat on the phone at the shop i work for. my private shopline is 1/707/812-7042 my cell is 1/707/548-2783 email "chapters101850@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well now that you have replaced the "ect" the only other sensors are the IAC ON THE TBI INJECTOR UNIT AND THE TPS ALSO ON THE INJECTOR // must test each unit with a dvm volt meter but they normally set a trouble code, the 02 sensor voltages may also be tested, if all of those test okay, remember when i disconnected the tps on the wrangler after the new engine was installed try that also/ the only other thing i can think of is all ground wire connections including the battery cables/ take a razor blade and slice open both the cables and look for green corroision/ wherever the grounds for the engine ecm is make sure they are connected to a nice clean ground/ take a photo of the pcm ground wire or wires and post it so i can see where you hooked it up/ up here in oregon we get alot of tow ins and we see alot of battery cables corroded, also very important that the charging system is putting out a normal voltage of 14.2-7 volts,anyway just sending a few hints,good luck

      Delete