Saturday, December 2, 2017

New Bumper on the Jeep.


Working on the Bumper.

I decided to put the new bumper on the Jeep.  It went pretty good.
There was only one modification that I need to do.

The bolts that mount the winch to the winch mounting plate stick out from the bottom of the plate.

IMGP2293

Breaking the Hole Saw.

I had to make two 1” holes in the top of the bumper to clear them.
On the first hole, when the pilot drill on my 1”  hole saw went through the bumper it got jammed and broke off. That brought the job to a halt. That was Thursday afternoon. It was late so I called it a day.
That evening we went to play cards at Becky and Dennis’s. While we were there I asked Dennis if he had a 1” hole saw. He said he did so I borrowed it to finish the bumper job.

Friday.

In the morning I resumed working on the bumper installation.

As it turned out Dennis’ hole saw was only 7/8” so I had to put my 1” saw on his mandrill. When I did that I found that his pilot drill was too short for my saw. I ended up putting Dennis’ pilot drill in my mandrill with my hole saw.

Learned a Lesson.

This is a Hole Saw. You can see the pilot drill that goes through the center of the saw.

IMGP2295

No matter how much of this kind of stuff I do I still learn new tricks.
Using a hole saw can be tricky because the pilot drill just sticks out of the saw and when it breaks through the metal, some times the saw digs in and breaks the pilot drill.
That is what happened to me. Therefore I decided to drill a pilot hole with a separate drill the same size as the pilot drill in the saw. That way it eliminates the drill breaking problem.

In no time I got the holes drilled.

IMGP2292

All that was left to do was to mount the Winch.
Unfortunately this bumper sticks out farther than the old one did. So the winch mounting holes aren’t in the right place so that the winch sits too far back. That means that the fairlead can’t be installed. I am not worried about that right now. I can fix it when I get back to our home base where I have more tools to work with.

The bumper and winch in place.

IMGP2294

I’ll have to move the winch forward, drilling new holes in the plate to mount it.

No Internet.

This will be the last post for a while as we are out of Data on our Verizon MiFi Jetpack, so after this post I will only be posting on days that we take a ride. Therefore I will only post about twice a week.
I will have to post this from Mc Donald’s or the Library.

No comments:

Post a Comment