Wednesday, February 10, 2010

02-10
The last time we went to the north end of the Plomosa Mountains I was hoping to circumnavigate them. There was so much to see on the east side that we didn't have time to make the loop.
Yesterday we tried again.
This time the party was made up of Junior in his pretty jeep


and Patti and me in our jeep.

Every one else was busy, gone to Texas, or ill.
We took off around 10:00 and drove almost to Bouse where we turned east heading across the flats and into the mountains.
Unfortunately the west side of the mountains was not as interesting as I was hoping and we didn't get many pictures. We did stop at a small mine that it didn't go very far into the rocks.

We found one road that went into a neat canyon and followed it to its end.

We circled back around the Four Peaks and stopped to look at a shallow cave that I have been wanting to check out for a while. Near the cave was a vertical shaft that was very deep. The rocks that we dropped in took a long time to hit the bottom.
From there we drove around the north side of the peaks and wandered around for a while. We stopped at another hole that we had been at before but Junior had not seen. This hole is even deeper than the other one and we dropped several large rocks in it and Junior was impressed by its depth as am I each time I stop there.
From there we worked our way back to Plomosa Road and thence back home.
I am glad that we made the loop because it was a goal of mine to see that side of the mountains but I doubt that we will make that trip again. The east side is much more interesting.
Here is the Track:

The other day Patti got a nice picture of the mountains to the east of Quartzsite eliminated by the setting sun. I forgot to put it on the blog for that day so I am putting it here.





No comments:

Post a Comment