Thursday, October 23, 2014

A small project. 10-23-14

A couple years ago I bought a new top for the jeep complete with
new hardware
from “Bestop”.
Fortunately I kept the old hardware because one of the important
parts on the new one broke. It is a piece of tubing that connects the
first bow of the top to the windshield frame.

Below is the factory part (unbroken).

IMG_0936

Here is where it broke.

IMG_0928

The old hardware had also broken years ago in the same place and my
son-in-law, Morgan had replaced the broken tubing with a 1/8”X1”
flat bar. It worked but I thought I could make it stronger
with a piece of square tubing. It worked quite well until I got the new top
and replaced everything.

When the new hardware broke I just replaced it with the old hardware.
Unfortunately the old hardware has developed some other issues.
I decided to take some of the good parts of both sets of hardware
and make  one good set. I hope :o)

It didn’t take much to change the parts. I just had to clamp the bow down
and cut the old broken piece off.

 IMG_0931 

and replace it with the old modified part.

IMG_0933 

Of course I had to do the same thing on both sides.

Well, It wasn’t a big project but it needed to be done.

Ronda and her husband Tom came by around 4:00 and I gave them our
tipi.
I kind of hated to get rid of it but I have to be honest; I'd probably never
erect it again anyway.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment